Tuesday 30 August 2011

Some soggy photos

Mumbai offered precious few photographic opportunities thanks to the monsoon, but I thought I might as well share a few anyway...


The Gateway of India, built on Mumbai's sea front to commemorate the visit of King George V to India in 1911. It was completed in 1924, and less than a quarter of a century later it was the scene of the final departure of British troops. It's quite an impressive monument even in the rain, and although it doesn't sit on a grand boulevard like India Gate, I think it makes more of a visual impression. It's also home to the most persistent touts I've come across yet in India, all of whom desperately trying to take me on a sightseeing tour. None succeeded.

One of the many beautiful Gothic buildings in the Colaba / Fort areas. I'm none too fond of the British architectural legacy in Delhi, but Mumbai really has some stunners. This is the David Sassoon Library and Reading Room. Even among the clamour of Mumbai, buildings like this, the University buildings and the High Court retain a feeling of poise and calm that I far prefer to the bombastic showiness of Delhi's colonial era architecture (though the railway terminus has bombast aplenty and I have to say it's pretty damn awesome). 


Apparently, it was a law during the British period that all buildings on the main streets had to have a covered arcade outside. What a good idea. The shade provided from the sun on hot days must be just as welcome as the respite provided from the downpours during my visit.


Nothing really to say about this one - I just liked the name of the store and the posters in the windows.


Mumbai has beautiful old buildings (this one the University tower) and some glittering modern constructions, but the bits in between tend to look a bit tired.


An itinerant flute-seller. I'm not sure how he keeps all the flutes attached.


The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. Or if that's a bit too much for you, do what the locals do and call it the Prince of Wales museum (it's not my place to say, but if you want a new name to catch on making it short and snappy might be a good idea). Reminded me of nothing so much as Miss Havisham's house, if Miss Havisham's house had a big dome stuck on top.

And that's pretty much it! Hopefully my next visit will be more camera-friendly - the opportunities for snapping Mumbai life are endless.

No comments: